My Prego Diary
Hi guys, just recently I found
out that I’m pregnant and this is my first pregnancy. It’s a rather interesting
journey that started with me getting married to the love of my life in April
this year, had a short honeymoon and then settling in Lagos Nigeria with my
husband. Then life started with all the hurdles and challenges to cross and
face and for some reason, I wanted to get pregnant that same month, I wanted to
give birth to my first child before our next anniversary. Why? I don’t know
really, I found myself measuring myself with my friends and some other ladies I
know, I wanted that same experience and somewhere in my heart, I had this fear
that I couldn’t conceive. So when the first month passed and I saw my period, I
thought to myself since it’s the first month, I could let it pass, I still have
11 months to go. Then the time for the second period came, and that day I saw
spotting and was excited that could this be it? Well I discovered later that my
body was playing tricks on me as the period came in full force that night. Note
that at this time, I had no idea what my cycle was like, I didn’t know about
ovulation, I didn’t know when I was ovulating, I didn’t know I had to plan and
all, I just thought it was going to happen, and I was still using heavy
lubrication which was a kind of contraceptive. So after this particular period,
I went into study, I read about best positions to get pregnant, I was putting a
lot of pressure on myself by worrying and thinking the worst case scenarios. I got
another rude deception the next month when I didn’t see my period after the
normal cycle of 29-31 days for me, I started getting happy as the days passed, I
was waiting for the worst case of 35days cycle to pass before using the strip. On
Day 34, I couldn’t wait anymore, I rushed to get two strips from the pharmacy,
dipped it in my urine and the waiting started, 3 minutes seemed like 3 hours. At
last, with heart in my mouth, I checked and it was negative, I was shocked and
devastated but still held on the to the hope that since I haven’t seen my
period, it’s possible the strip hasn’t picked the HCG yet. So I waited till
early the next morning and did it again with my concentrated urine, same result
and same hope, at least my period had not started still.
9am in the morning, I had a
strong cramp and BAM! The period started to flow and it flowed really strong, I
couldn’t pretend that was spotting. In any case, I knew I had to ease myself of
every pressure I was putting on myself and husband unnecessarily. The next day,
I made a resolution to God and to myself, that I wouldn’t wait for His perfect
timing, I would stop comparing myself with others and I would resume my
workout, I gave myself a 60-day workout challenge and I stuck to it. I later
came across an article on the importance of folic acid before and during
pregnancy, so I got me one pack and started the daily ritual of working out and
taking my folic acid. I also traced my fertile window and planned to get
pregnant, this time without the rush and without the pressure. I had peace and
was so at rest that even when I started feeling sick, I didn’t think it could
be pregnancy, I thought I was coming down with malaria or so, but I was careful
not to take any medication, instead I made sure to eat well with lots of
vegetables and fruits. It was when I had missed my period for about 7 days and
the 35 days’ worst case cycle had passed that I decided to use another strip
and BAM! It was positive, I used the second one the next morning, it was
positive, I went for a blood pregnancy test and it was still positive. It’s
almost 7 weeks gone now and I am pushing strong, the experience so far I must
say has not been pleasant, morning sickness and all, but I’m grateful to be
experiencing these symptoms, because this what I would call paying the price to
gain the prize.
Lessons learnt from this
experience are;
1. Don’t
compare yourself with another, that is a foolish thing to do
2. Don’t
create unnecessary pressure and worry for yourself by creating an imaginary
problem that is insurmountable. Pressure and worry causes more harm to us than
the problem we might be facing.
3. Flow
at your own pace. If you need to incorporate a lifestyle change to get what you
want, please do, only make sure they are healthy changes.
4. Enjoy
the process and live your life to the fullest. Wait for your time, don’t rush
process. If you rush, you might have to repeat process.
Watch this space daily for my
daily prego diary, it promises to be exciting as I can’t wait to share the
good, the bad and the ugly. You can also share your own daily experience by
dropping a comment in the comment box below. I will see you tomorrow, but until
then, have a blast of a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment